During the process of educating myself on these nasty little vampiric creatures, I learned that there are several different species - most of which were attacking the hedge. Most were on the undersides of the leaves, but a lot were also on the limbs. Not good. Some species of scale are "easier" to control than others, but none are exactly "easy" to completely eradicate. So what does one do in a case like this?
|Scale on the undersides of the leaves...|
|...and on the limbs. Yuck.|
It wasn't an easy decision, but the best option - and definitely most environmentally-friendly - was behind door number two: rejuvenation pruning... or, as I like to think of it, pressing the "reset" button. Older plants usually respond better to hard pruning; they have well-established root systems that enable quicker regeneration. Plant maturity is definitely on my side for this one!
So Ben, Damou, Danny and I set to work, and in one afternoon, completed the first pass. It's best to start off a pruning project like this by being a bit conservative with your cuts... you can always prune off more later. And I did.
|After the first pass of rejuvenation pruning|
|Rejuvenation pruning complete!|